This tutorial will walk you through the modifications to the Bailey Backpack pattern to convert it from a two strap backpack to a single strap sling bag.
This is a supplementary instruction to the Bailey Backpack pattern. The Bailey Backpack pattern will be required to complete your backpack. Get your copy of the pattern right here. A copy of this tutorial can be downloaded with your pattern.
If you have purchased the paper pattern, then you can download the full PDF version of the add-on right here.
Please read the full Bailey Backpack pattern and this supplement before you start. The full Bailey Backpack pattern is required as it has the full instructions. This supplement will advise you on any changes that are necessary to modify the back panel of the Bailey Backpack to create and use a sling strap.
The following pieces ARE NOT required:
2 - 1” (2.5 cm) wide Backpack Strap Adjusters
The following additional pieces ARE required:
Cutting List Adjustments
The following pieces DO NOT need to be cut:
3” x 3” (7.6 cm x 7.6 cm)
Webbing: (2) Strap Tops - 5” (12.7 cm); (1) Handle - 8” (20.3 cm); (2) Strap Bottoms - Adult size cut 18” (45.7 cm) length or Child size cut 12” (30.5 cm) length
The following pieces DO need to be cut:
Webbing: (1) Strap Bottom - Adult size cut 45” (114 cm) length or Child size cut 30” (76 cm) length
Get your pattern piece here for the Sling Strap. Be sure to print it from Adobe and measure the square to ensure that it's accurate before cutting it out.
Construct the Exterior Front Panel
Complete all the steps to construct the exterior Front panel.
Construct the Strap Anchors and Straps
Construct the Exterior Back Panel
- Draw lines on the exterior Main following the instructions in the pattern.
- Lay the finished Sling Strap right side down with the long raw edge along the upper line. Baste in place multiple times, stitching up to 1/2” (1.3 cm) from the raw edge of the Sling Strap.
- Complete steps 3 & 4 from the original pattern with the Strap Support.
- Make a mark 1” (2.5 cm) [3/4” (2 cm)] in from the left edge along the bottom of the exterior Main, repeat from the right edge along the bottom. Place one of your Strap Connectors along the bottom with the raw edges aligned and inside the marking you just made. Baste in place well. Repeat on the other side with the other Strap Connector.
Construct the Zipper Gusset
Complete all the steps to construct the Zip Gusset.
Prepare the Lining
Complete all the steps to construct the two lining Mains.
Complete all the steps for the final construction of your Bailey Backpack except step 8. Instead, complete the following:
- Take the end of your Strap and weave it under the top bar on your slider, over the center, and under the bottom bar. Then take it through the Swivel Hook and bring it back up to hook through the middle bar on the slider. Sew the Strap end down or rivet it.